Photo Credit: “Natalie Maynor / CC BY 2.0” by
- Yield: 5 servings
Black Beans and Rice
- Serving size: 278 grams
- Before preparing dried beans, sort through for tiny pebbles or shriveled beans.
- Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked.
- The best way to soak dried beans is to cover them in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. *Do not add salt to the soaking water. Drain water and rinse with fresh water.
- To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.
- Eat beans for a good source of fiber, protein, iron, and vitamin B.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook until soft.
- Stir in tomatoes, black beans, 3 cups water, and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil and stir in rice.
- Reduce heat, cover, and cook until rice is cooked, about 30-40 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes and then serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition facts per serving