This stew is full of veggies that will keep you full for a long time!
Sweet potato skins are full of flavor and fiber! Scrub them first to remove the dirt.
- Yield: 6 servings
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Stew
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Before preparing dried beans, sort through for tiny pebbles or shriveled beans.
- Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked.
- The best way to soak dried beans is to cover them in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. *Do not add salt to the soaking water. Drain water and rinse with fresh water.
- To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.
- Eat beans for a good source of fiber, protein, iron, and vitamin B.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 1/2 cups diced sweet potato, scrubbed with peels on
- 2 cups water
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or more to taste, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and pepper, and cook for a few minutes until soft.
2. Add sweet potato and water. Cook until sweet potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
3. Stir in tomatoes, black beans, parsley (if using), salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and simmer for 5 more minutes.
4. Serve hot and enjoy!
5. Refrigerate leftovers.