Photo Credit: “H. Michael Karshis / CC BY 2.0” by
- Yield: 8 servings
Avocado and Tomato Salad
- Serving size: 192 grams
- For the best buy, choose fresh avocados that are firm, but slightly soft to the touch.
- To prepare a fresh avocado, cut in half lengthwise, then twist to separate the halves. Remove the pit and peel with a sharp knife.
- Ripen fresh avocados at room temperature, then refrigerate and use within 2 to 3 days. Once cut, fresh avocados brown quickly. To store cut fruit, sprinkle with lemon juice, cover tightly and refrigerate.
- Avocados contain heart healthy fats which may help lower cholesterol.
- 4 avocados, pitted and diced - See Key Points for how to prepare avocado
- 4 chopped tomatoes
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, toss together avocados, tomato and onion.
- In a small bowl, stir together the oil, vinegar, garlic powder, oregano, black pepper and salt. Pour over avocado and tomato mixture. Mix gently.
- Cover and chill for one hour before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition facts per serving