Photo Credit: “Hungry Dudes / CC BY 2.0” by
- Yield: 6 servings
Pinto Bean Stew
- Serving size: 265 grams
- Before preparing dried beans, sort through for tiny pebbles or shriveled beans.
- Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked.
- The best way to soak dried beans is to cover them in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. *Do not add salt to the soaking water. Drain water and rinse with fresh water.
- To cook beans, cover soaked beans with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let the beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.
- Add 1/2 cup water to a medium pot. Cook the onion, green pepper, carrots and garlic in the water for 5 minutes over medium heat or until soft.
- Stir in the chili powder, tomato paste, chicken broth and pinto beans.
- Cook for 20 minutes. Add a little water if the beans start to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition facts per serving