- Yield: 8 servings
Kidney Bean and Pasta Salad
- Serving size: 235 grams
- Before preparing dried beans, sort through for tiny pebbles or shriveled beans.
- Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked.
- The best way to soak dried beans is to cover them in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. *Do not add salt to the soaking water. Drain water and rinse with fresh water.
- To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let the beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning or oregano
- 1/3 cup white or red vinegar
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans
- 5 cups cooked pasta, cooled
- 1/2 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste