- Yield: 8 servings
Kidney Bean and Pasta Salad
- Before preparing dried beans, sort through for tiny pebbles or shriveled beans.
- Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked.
- The best way to soak dried beans is to cover them in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. *Do not add salt to the soaking water. Drain water and rinse with freshwater.
- To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let the beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.
- Canned beans are cooked and ready for use
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning or oregano
- 1/3 cup white or red vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans
- 5 cups cooked pasta (cooked according to package directions) , cooled
- 1/2 cup shredded low fat or nonfat cheddar cheese (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together pepper, onion powder, Italian seasoning, vinegar and garlic. Stir in oil.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill and serve.Enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers.