Sick of plain salads? Throw this flavorful and nutrient-dense salad into your rotation!
- Yield: 10 servings
Black-Eyed Pea and Celery Salad
- Serving size: 1/2 cup
- Before preparing dried beans, sort through for tiny pebbles or shriveled beans.
- Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked.
- The best way to soak dried beans is to cover them in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. *Do not add salt to the soaking water. Drain water and rinse with fresh water.
- To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 1 finely chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste