Try these delicious veggie patties as a healthy burger substitute!
- Yield: 7 servings
Black Bean Veggie Patties
- Serving size: 1 Patty
- Before preparing dried beans, sort through for tiny pebbles or shriveled beans.
- Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked.
- The best way to soak dried beans is to cover them in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. *Do not add salt to the soaking water. Drain water and rinse with fresh water.
- To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.
- Eat beans for a good source of fiber, protein, iron, and vitamin B.
- In a large bowl, mix mashed beans, green pepper, onion and garlic.
- In a small bowl, mix egg, chili powder, cumin and hot sauce. Add to large bowl. Stir in bread crumbs. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To make 1 patty, lightly pack some of the mixture to fill 1/3 cup measuring cup. Take mixture out of cup and form into a patty or burger shape. Repeat to make the other 4 patties.
- Spray frying pan with non-stick cooking spray. Cook patties over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side.**
- Serve and enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers.
**The temperature of the patties must reach 160° F in the center to be sure the egg has been properly cooked.
Nutrition facts per serving