You can find almost any fruit or vegetable at the grocery store year round. But have you ever wondered how far away that food came from? How long has it been sitting around? And have you looked at the high prices of produce from far away? Buy local, in-season fruits and vegetables and get the most value for your food dollars, and great taste! Fresh local produce is bursting with flavor and nutrition.
How can you get in-season, local fruits and vegetables?
- Look for stickers or signs at your grocery store that tell you where the food was grown.
- Shop at a nearby Farmer’s Markets.
- Visit roadside fruit and vegetable stands.
- Join a local community garden. Volunteer your time and share in the harvest.
- Plant your own fruits and vegetables in a garden or containers. Use your EBT card (Food Stamps) to buy vegetable seeds or plants. Try cucumbers, tomatoes, peppersand green beans.