Who said chili needs meat? This veggie chili will surely fill you up!
Microwave the sweet potatoes before dicing to make them easier to cut.
- Yield: 4 servings
Sweet Potato and Red Bean Chili
- Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
- For the best buy, choose sweet potatoes that are tapered at both ends.
- To prepare sweet potatoes, scrub and remove eyes and dark spots.
- To keep fresh, store in a cool, dry place for 1-2 weeks.
- Sweet potatoes contain vitamin A, which is good for healthy eyes and skin.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 diced medium onion
- 3 cups diced sweet potatoes, with peels
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, or 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and sweet potatoes and cook for 4 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin (if using), and water. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add beans. Cook until the beans are heated, about 5 minutes.
- Add cilantro (if using), salt, and pepper.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers.