- Yield: 5 cups (serving size = 1 cup)
Braised Escarole with Raisins
- For best buy, look for escarole with bright green leaves with no wilting, bruising or yellowing.
- To prepare escarole, remove any tough or damaged outer leaves. Cut off the root and tear leaves into large pieces. Rinse and dry well.
- To store fresh, wrap unwashed greens in a damp paper towel and keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Escarole contains vitamin A, which is good for healthy eyes and skin.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add escarole and sprinkle with salt. Stir a few times, then cover the pan and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir a few more times, then cover again and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Uncover the pan and stir in the raisins and honey. Cook uncovered for 5-10 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone. Stir often.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers.