Many people think only fresh will do when it comes to eating healthy meals. Fresh fruits and vegetables are wonderful and delicious, but all forms matter! Using fresh, frozen, canned and dried varieties can help you meet your daily goal of eating more fruits and vegetables. Some benefits of choosing from all the available forms of fruits and vegetables are:
- Convenience – frozen, canned and dried fruits and veggies are ready to use in your favorite recipes
- Stir frozen fruit into pancake batter or blend into your favorite smoothie.
- Add canned and frozen veggies to soups and stews.
- Enjoy dried fruit right from the package or sprinkle onto salads and cereal
- Taste and Nutrition – fruits and vegetables used for canning and freezing are picked when they are ripe and delicious. They are processed soon after harvest so their flavor and nutritional value is preserved.
- More Variety – Many different fruits and vegetables are available year round in frozen and canned form. Keep your pantry stocked with a variety of canned foods that can be used for quick, low cost meals.
- Saves Money – buying fresh fruits and vegetables when they are not “in season” can be expensive. Choosing canned and frozen varieties during these months can save you money.
Many JSY recipes use several forms of fruits or vegetables. Try combining all forms in JSY Fiesta Bean and Potato Salad recipe, using fresh potatoes, canned beans and frozen corn.