Lentils give this soup hearty flavor and lots of protein.
Lentils, unlike other dry legumes, don’t have to be soaked or cooked before use.
- Yield: 6 servings
Red Lentil Carrot Soup
- Buy carrots that look firm and do not bend. Bending might be a sign of aging.
- When preparing carrots, wash them well before eating.
- To store fresh carrots, take of the greens, put in a plastic bag and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- Carrots contain potassium, which is good for a healthy heart.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes, until soft.
- Add carrots and cook for about 5 minutes or until carrots are soft. Add cumin and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add vegetable broth and lentils. Bring soup to a boil, then turn heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until lentils are soft.
- Add canned tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in spinach. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers.