Photo Credit: “Breakfast: Bacon salted mushrooms on a bed of five types of beans in tomato sauce with mixed salads and herbs (mizuna, rocket, cornsalad, red kale, shungiku and amaranth)” by Kai Chan Vong / CC BY 2.0
- Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 180
- Carbohydrate Content: 25g
- Cholesterol Content: 5mg
- Fat Content: 6g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 9g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Sodium Content: 390mg
- Sugar Content: 5g
Mushrooms and Beans
- For the best buy, choose mushrooms that look smooth and dry. They should not smell moldy!
- To prepare fresh mushrooms, rinse under running water. Pat dry with a paper towel if desired. Trim off rough ends of stems.
- To store fresh mushrooms, place them in a paper bag and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- Mushrooms contain potassium, which is good for a healthy heart.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic, cook 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add mushrooms, basil, and oregano. Cook 6 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in beans and tomato sauce, heat through. Stir in Parmesan.
- Serve as a side dish, or over pasta or rice if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition facts per serving