No need to throw out your beet greens with this tasty, colorful recipe!
Choose medium sized beets that have about 3 or 4 leaves per beet.
- Yield: 7 servings
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 130
- Carbohydrate Content: 16g
- Cholesterol Content: 0mg
- Fat Content: 7g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 3g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Sodium Content: 310mg
- Sugar Content: 11g
Glazed Beets and Greens
- For the best buy, choose firm, smooth beets which have a rich, dark color.
- To prepare beets, remove greens, leaving 1 inch of stem. Scrub well. Beets may be roasted, boiled or eaten raw.
- To keep fresh, store beets in the refrigerator and use within 2 weeks.
- Beets contain fiber, which helps to keep you regular.
1. In a large pot over high heat, add beets, onions, vinegar, and oil.
2. Cover the vegetables with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add stems, remove cover, and simmer for 5 minutes or until beets and stems are soft.
4. Add the greens and cook for 3-5 more minutes or until greens are soft.
5. Remove vegetables from the liquid and set aside. Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce until only half the liquid is left.
6. Add beets, stems, and greens back to the liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Serve and enjoy!
8. Refrigerate leftovers.