- Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 180
- Carbohydrate Content: 30g
- Cholesterol Content: 0mg
- Fat Content: 5g
- Fiber Content: 7g
- Protein Content: 6g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5g
- Sodium Content: 105mg
- Sugar Content: 6g
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Stew
- Before preparing dried beans, sort through for tiny pebbles or shriveled beans.
- Dried beans need to be soaked before they are cooked.
- The best way to soak dried beans is to cover them in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, turn off the heat and allow beans to soak in the water for 1-2 hours. *Do not add salt to the soaking water. Drain water and rinse with fresh water.
- To cook beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 1-2 hours. Do not let beans dry out, beans should always be covered with water.
- Eat beans for a good source of fiber, protein, iron, and vitamin B.
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and pepper. Cook until soft.
2. Add sweet potato and 2 cups water. Cook until sweet potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
3. Stir in tomatoes, black beans, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 more minutes.
4. Serve hot and enjoy!
5. Refrigerate leftovers.
Adapted from http://fatfreevegan.com
Nutrition facts per serving